After weeks of waiting, the day was finally here. It started out like any other: we woke up, ate breakfast, and Layla went to school, but by the time I picked her up she was bouncing up and down and loudly exclaiming her excitement like an over-caffeinated rabbit with Tourette's. We raced home (stopping only briefly at Costco for the hot dog lunch I had been craving for weeks) and packed the car with our warmest coats, hats, scarves and gloves, then waited patiently for Daddy to get home from work (actually, Layla waited patiently while I paced the floor and called his cell twice, but that's just how I roll).
As soon as he got home we said our goodbyes to Daddy and Weston and ran out the door. We picked up our friends Leslie and Carson Nelson, put in a movie for the kids, and we were off! After an hour and a half of driving north we saw the first signs of snow on the ground, and before long we were surrounded by a winter wonderland. Layla and Carter kept telling each other to look at every new thing that was dusted white ("Layla, look at that car." "Carter, look at that tree.") while Leslie and I smiled, turned up the Christmas music, and flipped on the heated seats.
It took just over three hours to get to Williams, AZ, home of the Polar Express. The first thing the kids did when we unloaded was pick up handfuls of snow and eat it (Layla) or throw it (Carter).
Layla changed into her pajamas, and before our train arrived we paid a visit to Mrs. Claus. She had a room set up where the kids could color pictures or write letters to Santa and put them in a special mail box where they would be delivered straight to the big man every night.
Then we heard it- a loud, clear whistle and the conductors voice booming, "All aboard! The Polar Express is departing to the North Pole in five minutes." The kids faces were priceless, and everyone bolted for the door.
We boarded the train and rumbled out of the depot, and after a few minutes our chef came through the cabin serving hot cocoa and chocolate chip cookies. We read the story The Polar Express while the chef walked up and down the aisles showing everyone the pictures.
Directly in front of us was a family with two girls who were more prepared than I and had brought enough snacks to keep their daughters busy by diverting restless energy into snacking (not a wise lifelong habit, but it works for a short train ride). Layla kept peering over the back of their seat, staring longingly at the tasty treats. The mother turned around and offered Layla a sucker, which she accepted graciously. She turned to me and said, "Mom, that lady doesn't even know me and she gave me a sucker! She's very nice." My heart leapt in my chest as I seized the perfect opportunity to teach my daughter about the other side of Christmas.
"That's the Christmas spirit," I explained.
"The Christmas spirit is a lollipop?"
"No, the Christmas spirit is being kind to everyone, not just our friends and family, and sharing what we have with others. It's about giving what we can without expecting anything in return, because that's what Jesus did and that's what we do to celebrate His birthday."
Layla paused for a moment, seemingly reflecting on what I had told her. Then she said, "Wow, I think this sucker has gum in the middle!" The moment had passed, but I felt I had made the most of it, and I am forever grateful for that generous woman who gave me the opportunity to bring Christ back into Christmas.
A few minutes later the conductor announced that we were approaching the North Pole.
I melted the thick frost on the train window with the warm palm of my hand and cleared a hole for Layla to peer out. Soon the dark landscape was filled with twinkling bulbs and lit-up windows, through which we could see bustling elves and feel the business that surrounds the Christmas season. We passed the reindeer, already hitched to their sleigh, and even caught a glimpse of a fat mad in a red suit waving as we thundered by.
The train stopped. The chef announced that there was a special visitor, and the children immediately began chanting, "Santa, Santa!" He boarded the train with a "Ho, ho, ho," and greeted each child, shook their hand and handed them a bell. He was only there a minute or two but it was enough for Layla, being her first actual encounter with the man in red.
On the train ride back we sang Christmas carols and every child on the train jingled their bell to the rhythm of the parents' voices.
It was fun. Layla's not enamored with Santa (thank goodness), but she loves events and outings and playing out things she's seen in books and movies, so this was perfect for her. She doesn't cherish the bell she was given, in fact she never even asked for it back after I put it in my purse to hold, but she loves to talk about the experience and is already planning on taking Weston and Daddy with us next year.
It is fun to celebrate the secular side of Christmas, especially with small children, but it also reminds me how important it is to teach them why we celebrate, why we give gifts, and what the spirit of Christmas is all about.
3 comments:
1. Holy Hannah you look so cute in that first picture! I hate you for owning that jacket, I really do. And I am stealing it from you immediately when you get here.
2. SNOW! There is so much snow here you're going to die.
3. Who knew that's how you spell Tourette's?
4. I will forever define the Christmas spirit as a lollipop with gum in the middle.
5. I want to go on the polar express and have cookies and holiday cheer! I want to! I hate finals, I HATE THEM!!!!
Sounds like great fun.
Don't tell your mother that Arizona has snow in the winter.
I think you win Mother of the Year award! How magical and fun!
Post a Comment