Monday, September 12, 2011

My Baby Turned 1!

I tried everything short of cryogenically freezing her to keep Dylan from growing up. I promised her anything she wanted for the rest of her life if she would stay a baby forever. But despite my efforts, my last little baby has turned one. Although I will miss all of the infant things, I am so excited to experience the growth and development of my precious angel.

Dylan is by far the quietest of the Hatchlings. She likes to hum or squeak every so often, but mostly she just plays, crawls and follows her siblings around without a peep. Her nonverbal communication is exceptional, and she is able to clearly get across whatever she desires using her hands, eyes and facial expressions. Her favorite activity is emptying. Anything and everything. She emptys cupboards, drawers, bags, shelves, bins and baskets. If there's something inside it, Dylan will take it out, over and over and over again.

She also loves eating, although she doesn't seem to be indiscriminately interested in food like Weston was. She adores yogurt and cheese and all things made of wheat. She prefers whatever I'm eating to whatever I'm trying to feed her, and she will only eat the baby food dinners if I add salt (yes, I'm a terrible parent). She's not particularly fond of fruit outside of bananas and smoothies, but loves carrots, potatoes and avocados. Her absolute favorite is banana pancakes with chocolate chips. Can you blame her?

Thus far Dylan has shown no intention of walking or standing without the aid of furniture, which is fine by me since it means she is still happy to sit in a stroller or shopping cart wherever we go. She does crawl all over the house, including up and down our rather large staircase. She loves playing with water indoors (kitchen sink, bathtub, toilet), but gets bored in the pool fairly quickly. If Weston and Layla are playing together, Dylan is right along with them trying to mimic their sounds and actions. She will follow her brother and sister anywhere, and has very recently taken to sitting with them on our bed and watching a show while snuggled between them.

I cannot say enough good things about her disposition. She is sweet and tender in a way I've never seen in a child so young. She is very loving without being cuddly, and prefers head nuzzles to hugs. Dylan's smile is one of the most beautiful things on this earth, and she offers it up almost unconditionally when she is in the mood. She is almost always bright and cheerful, and I believe she will be a calming influence in our often hectic and crazy home. Here is a look back at our sweet angel:

September 2010

October 2010

November 2010

December 2010

January 2011

February 2011

March 2011

April 2011

May 2011

June 2011

July 2011

August 2011

September 2011
Dylan, I love you with all of my heart and cannot imagine life without you. You make every day better just by smiling at me, and I am so excited to experience this journey of life with someone as special as you.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

She's a sweetheart! My oldest's birthday was a few days ago. :)

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe she's a year! She looks just like her daddy...

Mom said...

I like the new look of your blog. And I love, love, love baby Dylan. And you. And the rest of your little gang.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe she is already 1, that is crazy! She is so adorable! Wish we were there to celebrate. Happy Birthday Dylan...we love you!

Stacie Aho said...

She is the sweetest! Oh how I wish I could snuggle her right now. I feel like a terrible auntie for missing her birthday... but hopefully she'll forgive me. :) What a sweet post for a darling girl.