Friday, September 23, 2011

Our last First Birthday Party ever.

Layla's 1st Birthday

Weston's 1st Birthday

Dylan's 1st Birthday

I have to admit, when Ryan asked me what we were doing for Dylan's first birthday my initial reaction was to think of the busy week ahead and say, "Nothing. She's one, she won't know the difference." But the look on his face told me that was the wrong answer. So instead I said, "Oh, we're celebrating Saturday as a family." Her birthday was on a Thursday, so this bought me a couple of days.

"Good," he said, "I think it's important that we do something special, if only for the other kids, to show them that it's important." Grrr... I hate it when he's right and I'm wrong.

So, Saturday morning Ry took Layla and Weston shopping and let them pick out Dylan's gift. Weston spent an hour trying to convince everyone that Dylan had asked him specifically for Spider Man toys and a light saber with battle sounds, but they eventually decided on a cute vacuum that plays songs and smiles.

I was in charge of the rest of the party, so Dylan and I picked up a cake, a nice balloon bouquet, and a birthday card that plays a song when you open it (they're her favorite, but I have since learned that the most commonly swallowed battery in young children comes from musical cards... oops).

Layla and Weston were so excited for the party, and Dylan was excited because they were excited. As I lit the candle shaped like a "1" I got choked up, realizing that this was our last first birthday party. The time is flying by faster than I can handle, and I'm so glad we decided to celebrate this milestone for our little angel. She had a blast eating her HUGE piece of cake, and even got into opening her gift. She would find a loose piece and pull hard, putting her weight into it, then fall back and laugh when it finally tore.

I'm grateful to my husband for reminding me that, no matter what else we have going on, we can't let these precious moments pass us by, because once they're gone we can't get them back. And I'm grateful for my children, because while they might be quite a handful, they are also quite a heartful, and I can't ask for anything more.

I promise we didn't let her eat the balloons.

Our last 1st birthday cake!

Carrot cake, a Hatch Family birthday tradition.






Best. Face. Ever.

Happy Birthday, baby girl!

4 comments:

Stacie Aho said...

So sweet! Great post. :) She looks so much like you in that one of her under the stool. Miss you guys!

Mom said...

Ah, it made me tear up reading it. And I love your line "they're a handful but also a heartful".

I adore all of you! :)

Blogger said...

AHHHHHHHHHH! Please don't stop making babies!!!! I love them too much! I promise I will come home from China if you will please just make me another baby! I love her little chubs and that present face was awesome! You can just ship her over to China if you want to lighten your load a tidbit!

Blogger said...

Where's last week's blog woman! I need my fix!