Monday, March 29, 2010

Happy 4th Birthday Layla!


It's hard to believe that I have a four year old daughter. I can vividly remember the day I found out I was pregnant with her, the day we found out we were having a girl, the day we chose her name, and of course, the day we welcomed her into this world.

Layla has blessed our lives in so many ways. She has taught me about unconditional love, and much about patience and controlling my temper. She made me understand what it is to value someone else's life more than my own. Her capacity to love and forgive is unparalleled, and I often find myself learning from her how I ought to handle life's hardballs.

She is one of the funniest people I have ever met and at the tender age of four has already mastered sarcasm and comedic timing. Layla has an enviable imagination and zest for life. She will play for hours, alone or with a friend, in a world so far from this one that I can listen in for five minutes and still have no idea what's going on. Ryan and I absolutely love to bring her surprises or take her on special outings, because her excitement is contagious and it makes us feel like kids again ourselves.

Weston is very lucky to have Layla as a big sister. She is without a doubt his favorite person in the world. The first thing he wants to do every morning is see her and give her a hug and kiss. She plays so gentle with him and always includes him in her games. She teaches him so much (including things we wish she didn't know, like how to open a child-proof cabinet or where we keep the marshmallows) and is genuinely concerned with his health, happiness and welfare.

Layla's favorite passtimes right now are art, cooking, reading, barbies, princesses, movies and playing outside. She has been in preschool for a year and a half and can write her name and all of the letters and is learning to recognize letters in words by their sounds. She loves to sing, dance and perform for anyone. She continues to love all animals, and regularly asks me if she can have a pet when she's 60, to which I reply, "Honey, when you're 60 you can have all the pets you want." She is planning on at least seven cats, a dog, some livestock, a few birds and several rodents. I hope she doesn't expect me to visit.

Through good times and bad, we feel so blessed to have Layla in our home. She keeps life interesting and keeps me on my toes. I am so excited to watch her grow, develop, and become who she wants to be.

My dearest daughter, my heart grew the first time I saw you, and it swells with each passing year we spend together. Thank you for everything you do and everything you are. My world would be darker without you. I love you, always and forever.















3 comments:

Mom said...

I second the last two paragraphs. I have loved being a Grandma since March 28, 2006.

Renee said...

I wish I could express this to my daughters. I am not as good at finding the words as you are. What a great entry for her to have.

Blogger said...

"She is one of the funniest people I have ever met and at the tender age of four has already mastered sarcasm and comedic timing"

hmmm... i wonder where she got THAT from!

i can't believe my little layla pants is so old! and i can't believe how much i LOVE that kid!

from the bottom of my heart, thank you for procreating!!!!

ps, that pic of her with ryan is SOOOO adorable!