.jpg)
Weston had been sleeping when we pulled in the parking lot, so I left him in his car seat carrier and put him in the cart. Ten minutes into our shopping trip he started to cry, and before long he was red-faced and screaming for the whole store to hear. I picked him up and began trying to pick out produce with one hand while bouncing Weston and keeping track of Layla. A woman walked up to me and said, "I know you don't know me from Adam, but I'd be more than happy to hold your baby while you get your groceries." She looked normal and kind and had a young girl with her, so, with a look of relief, I said, "Really?" "Sure, I have six kids and I've been there before. It will take you all day to get your stuff with one hand." The produce section is very open, so I handed him over and started filling my cart, never needing to walk out of sight. I was done in ten minutes instead of 40, and profusely thanked the kind woman who had just made my day.
Last week Layla decided she had to use the bathroom while we were shopping. This time I had Weston in his Baby Bjorn, which makes him much happier but also makes lifting Layla up to wash her hands quite difficult. As I was struggling an older woman walked in and immediately asked if she could help. She grabbed Layla and helped her wash and dry her hands without thinking twice.
Another time we saw a mother and two girls playing with large balloons. Layla was staring at them and asked me if she could have a balloon. The mother overheard and asked her daughters, probably six and eight, if they would give Layla one of the balloons, since they could get another one at home. The younger girl said, "Ok, since she doesn't have one and you will get me another one at home," and gave Layla her balloon, making my daughter's day and, I'm sure, making her mother very proud.
Thank you to everyone who goes out of their way to help out a stranger. You set a great example for my children and me, and make me want to be a better person.
2 comments:
That makes me want to pack up and move out by you. Plus bonus we could play with you guys all the time.
Glad you have those great people out there spreading kindness and making your day better. Reading your post also make me want to remember to do acts of Kindness too!
Great comments. My mother used to say that she would try to perform a simple act of kindness every day. It's a wonderful philosophy.
Post a Comment