Monday, September 15, 2008

What's in a name?


That which we call Layla by any other name would smell as sweet... so why have we had so much trouble deciding what to call our son? Does it even matter to the kid? Ryan and I both read Freakonomics this summer, which includes an enlightening chapter on naming your child, so that might explain why we've taken so long in bestowing this precious appellation. Not only do we have to consider the name itself, but all possible monikers, acronyms, and epithets that could haunt our child through his formative years.

After vetoing names that sounded like we were just trying to be edgy (Vedder, Jagger), ones that sounded like a sports cliche (Elway, Bronco), and countless suggestions from every male we know to name our boy after him, we have reached a decision. Weston Bruce Hatch will officially join our family sometime around (hopefully before) Nov. 17. If he's not here by Thanksgiving his name will be changed to something truly horrible, as punishment for keeping me pregnant for so long. If he can get here by the first week in November, I'll forever refer to him as "Weston the Great." I promise.

4 comments:

Stacie Aho said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacie Aho said...

I love it! I still don't know how people can officially name their child before they even see them. I just can't bring myself to do that. Not like they'll actually look the same 6 months from when they were born, but there's something about seeing them first that does it for me. I wish I could be set on a name beforehand, but my babies will remain nameless until their birth date.

For your sake- I hope he comes earl too! It's just around the corner :) YAY!

I love the belly pic! It looks really tight!

Traciannee said...

Great little name. Hope little Weston comes sooner than later for you!

Lanée Jensen said...

I LOVE the name, but I must say, you almost trumped it with appelation and monikers all in one post.