Thursday, October 2, 2008

Pet Peeve

School is out right now in Chandler, which means there are a lot more older kids running around during the day. There is nothing wrong with this, until their guardians cease to be responsible for them. This usually happens when they are around play areas called "Toddler Zones" at fast food restaurants or shopping malls. These areas are called "Toddler Zones" for a reason: they are meant for toddlers (i.e. small children, generally under the age of 4).

I took Layla to Chick-Fil-A yesterday after her flu shot because she was such a good girl and she loves to play there after lunch, which is great when it's still too hot here to go to a park in the afternoon (blasted Phoenix). The whole area is about 20 x 20 and full of a big slide, but a perfect place for someone Layla's size.

There is a huge sign, clearly posted right outside the door, and again inside on the equipment, stating these rules (caps added for effect): Children must be accompanied by an adult AT ALL TIMES. This area is for ages 3 and under ONLY. No running. No climbing on the outside of the equipment. Shoes must be removed before playing. No food or drink.

Sure enough, Layla had been in there for about five minutes having a great time with the eight other toddlers (a pretty large group already), when two brothers run in, who I'd guess were 9 and 12 (the 12 year old was bigger than I am). With shoes on, they began climbing the outside of the equipment and jumping off, scaring several of the little kids into running to find their moms. Then some of the toddler boys started emulating the older kids, and one of them fell (luckily, HIS mom was right there watching and he was fine). Then the boys started racing up the stairs, pushing the smaller kids as they went, and shooting down the slide (as only someone who weighs 160 lbs can do), not caring who was at the bottom (usually a toddler). I looked over at their parents, who were sitting far enough away not to notice the other annoyed mothers and myself escorting their toddlers out of the "Toddler Zone", and who were both on their cell phones so probably didn't care anyway.

I'm sure these are not bad people or bad parents, or bad kids for that matter. My guess is they just didn't think about the fact that their boys weren't supposed to play in there, they were just as happy as I was to have somewhere for their kid to release some excess energy. I just wish that people would pay closer attention. I know that these boys were old enough that they wouldn't hurt themselves on the play equipment, but what about the little kids?

I rant because this isn't the first time this has happened. It used to happen all of the time at the Chandler Mall, which is why we stopped going there.

I hope I remember this when my kids are older...

3 comments:

Stacie Aho said...

I would be totally mad too. Next time you should say something to the store manager. I really hate it when kids aren't being supervised by their parents and they do something super naughty- like push another kid, or talk mean- especially when it's to my own child because I never know what to do. I don't want MJ to learn that something is okay... when it's not.

Julie Wilding said...

angelica, i did read this whole blog and Hate those kids. but. also, i wanted to say thank you for being so giving of your natural resources. we were worried how we'd eat our cereal.

Jeppesen Family said...

Amen. I am very careful what time I take Julia to these play areas for the same reason. Although, I am lucky in the fact that Julia is used to bigger kids and won't let herself get pushed around (which is sometimes a bad thing). It's just frustrating, though, b/c there ARE places these bigger kids can go that the toddlers can't and the parents should read the signs that give age and height limits.